Voki

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Let it Snow!

Happy Winter!
The winter is the time for movies, hot chocolate, blankets, sweatpants, soup, and snow! The weather has been very drastic lately, we've gone from having a polar vortex to having 50 degree weather with sunshine. Personally, I like having snow on the ground in the winter. I love waking up and seeing a blanket of fresh white snow on the ground and having the possibility of a snow day! I absolutely LOVE being able to bundle up my clothes with lots of layers and go outside and make a snowman, or snow fort. After traveling outside to be able to come inside and sit down with a big mug of hot chocolate and watch movies with my family is a treasure to me. We had a snow storm a few weeks ago which left us with about a foot of snow! Luckily we were still on Christmas break so everyone was home already therefore it was the picture perfect snow day. My dad, brother, and I shoveled the driveway, while at the same time, having snow ball fights and playing with the dog in the snow. My mom stayed inside making sure the hot chocolate and soup were ready for the moment we were finished (lucky us)! The snow looked so pretty glistening in the sun that at some point I did not want to go inside, but unfortunately after a while I was too cold to stay outside any longer and HAD to go inside and enjoy the deliciously warm treats my mom had prepared! It was a great way to start the winter!
Do you enjoy the winter? Do you like the snow? What is your favorite part of the winter? Did you experience this snow storm the same way I did? Tell me your thoughts!!
VOCABULARY
Here are the definitions for the bolded words in the passage above
drastic: the extreme of a situation or event
polar vortex: EXTREMELY cold air which comes down from Canada
bundle: to put on many, many layers of something
treasure: something very special
picture perfect: the perfect situation
glistening: sparkling from the sun
unfortunately: bad luck
deliciously: something tasting very good

**Fill in the blanks of the following sentences with the correct vocabulary words. 
1. Before going out to play in the snow Henry's mom makes sure to _____________ him up with lots and lots of clothes. 
2. My grandmother gave me a necklace that love, it is a __________________ for my family and I. 
3. _____________________ I forgot my lunch at home and I now I don't have anything to eat. 
4. Playing in the snow is a ________________ day in my book!
5. The difference between Alaska and Hawaii is a __________________ temperature change. 


GRAMMAR RULE
Exclamation: Sentences that express anger, excitement, abrupt outcry, surprise, fear, or anything out of the ordinary. The sentences end with an exclamation point (!) as well. 
**Find and write down five of the exclamations from the passage above regarding the winter.  


2 comments:

  1. I also really like the weather, but the ice is getting me down a bit. And maybe there has been too much at once. I miss my Monday classes.
    Good exercises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely hate the winter! While it has been nice to have a whopping four snow days so far this year, there are no other positives to me. I hate being cold..I hate having to leave my house early in the morning in the pitch black, freezing weather, only to come home at night in the pitch black, freezing weather. I cannot wait for the first signs of snow melting, flowers blooming, weather warming!

    ReplyDelete